Child Endangerment

If during the commission of a DUI, a minor is in your vehicle, the prosecutor will usually tact on an additional charge of child endangerment, which can be a misdemeanor or felony. Instead of the additional charge, the prosecutor can instead add an enhancement to your DUI charge if the child was under 14. Either way, you face mandatory jailtime if convicted as charged.

Child Endangerment Penalties


More often than not Child Endangerment is attached to a DUI charge as an enhancement allegation (if the child was under 14 years old). When this happens, a first offense will result in a minimum of 48 hours in county jail; a second offense within 10 years will up the jail minimum to 10 days; a third offense within 10 years will up the jail minimum to 30 days; a fourth offense within 10 years will up the jail minimum to 90 days.


3810 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 2107, LA
(213) 446-2495
Mon-Sun: 8am – 8pm

Frequently Asked Questions

I wasn’t read my Miranda rights. Does that mean I can win my case?

Miranda only has to be given if there is post-arrest interrogation. Most cops in a DUI investigation are trained to get everything they need out of your mouth “prior” to cuffing you, so Miranda usually doesn’t apply. However, there are instances when a cop will conduct further questioning at the station, where Miranda WOULD have to be given in order for the statements to be admissible in court.

I missed my court date and have a warrant. What should I do?

You should hire a lawyer to go to court to recall the warrant. A lawyer can usually do this without you present if the underlying charge is a misdemeanor, so it is less risky for you.

I just got cited for a DUI. Do I need to file SR-22?

SR-22, or proof of insurance, has to be filed for 3 years AFTER conviction of a DUI. Your first order of business after being cited for a DUI is to figure out how to avoid being convicted.

What are the most important things I should look for when hiring a DUI lawyer?

Ask yourself 3 things: a) Will this lawyer actually be the one representing you? Or does this lawyer simply pass the case off to “one” of the associates. b) Does this lawyer specialize in DUI? Or does this lawyer take whatever walks in the door? c) Is the quoted fee the “actual” fee that you will be paying? Or are there plenty of hidden fees that will hit you when you don’t simply plead guilty?

I just got a letter in the mail from law enforcement, with a request to contact a detective regarding an accident/incident involving my vehicle. What should I do?

You should absolutely NOT respond to such a letter. You have the right to remain silent, and that means the right to NOT speak to investigators/cops. Remember, no matter what you say it will be twisted around and used against you later. In short, no benefit can be derived from responding. You should contact a lawyer ASAP if you have received such a letter or voice mail.

I just got arrested for a DUI and I refused all tests. Can they still convict me?

Absolutely, especially if you forgot about the right to remain silent and copped yourself out. Remember, no matter what you said it will be twisted around and used to make you look guilty. Also, many refusal cases still (unfortunately) involve Field Sobriety Tests, which are designed to make anyone, sober or not, look impaired. With that said, a refusal DUI is usually more defensible than a regular DUI, since there isn’t a specific number that prosecutors can point to, but the consequences of conviction are more severe.

I just picked up a DUI and I blew over the legal limit. I’m guilty, so what’s the point of hiring a lawyer?

First of all, being over the legal limit is just the starting point, and all DUI cases that are won involve people who are at or above the legal limit (or they refused). If you were under the legal limit, you wouldn’t even have been cited. Second, just because you feel you are guilty, it doesn’t mean you need to have the full brunt of the consequences crash down on you. With proper representation, things like jail time, license suspension, fines, probation, alcohol school…etc. can be reduced or eliminated, guilty or not.

CONTACT USCall us today, e-mail us or leave a message

Get a free callback
    3810 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 2107, Los Angeles, CA 90010

    Contact us:


    The Law Office of “The DUI Specialist” Jeff Yeh is proud to serve clients in all of Los Angeles, Ventura, Orange, San Diego, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties. The firm handles DUI and criminal cases in Torrance, Long Beach, South Bay, Downey, San Fernando, Santa Monica, Westminster, Santa Ana, Newport Beach, Hawthorne, Fullerton, Laguna Niguel, Alhambra, Hollywood, Yorba Linda, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Burbank, Pasadena, Santa Clarita, Valencia, Newhall, Whittier, West Covina, Calabasas, Garden Grove, Tustin, Foutain Valley, Anaheim, Inglewood, Buena Park, Cerritos, Lakewood, Los Alamitos, Bellflower, Norwalk, Chino, Carson, Redondo Beach, Orange County, Los Angeles County, San Diego County, Ventura County, Riverside County, San Bernardino County, El Monte, Manhattan Beach, Gardena, Compton, South Gate, La Puente, Pomona, Costa Mesa, San Clemente, Mission Viejo, Laguna Beach, San Pedro, Glendale, Beverly Hills, Culver City, Temple City, Westwood, Van Nuys, Woodland Hills, Encino, Sun Valley, La Canada, Altadena, Sierra Madre, Monrovia, Azuza, La Verne, Pomona, West Hollywood, Marina del Rey, Chatsworth, San Fernando, Orange, Placentia, La Crescenta, Corona, Bellflower, Rosemead, Montebello, San Dimas, Vernon, Monterey Park, San Gabriel, Diamond Bar, Sherman Oaks, Eagle Rock, Bel Air, Chino Hills, Brentwood, Simi Valley, Lancaster, Fontana, Riverside, Big Bear, Barstow, Indio, Murrieta, Blythe, and all other cities in Southern California.

    The information on this Los Angeles DUI Defense Attorney‘s / Lawyer’s website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information on this website is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. The only way to establish an attorney-client relationship with a criminal defense attorney or DUI lawyer is to sign a written retainer agreement and comply with its terms. 

    Copyright © Law Office of Jeff Yeh 2022